News: January 2020
• 3 January: commemorating the 128th birth-date of J.R.R. Tolkien: Master of Middle-earth
• Special feature on 3 January in Artist and collector articles
: 'From another collector's viewpoint based in the UK..........' by itd64.
• Planned for March: Updating the website for mobile and to improve load times
News/features from other sites
• Tolkien Society: Tolkien Birthday Toast 3 Jan 2020 ✦
• Sad news: Christopher Tolkien has died on 16 January 2020; from the Tolkien Society: ✦
It is with great sadness that we can confirm that Tolkien’s son and literary executor Christopher Tolkien has died aged 95. Christopher was born in Leeds, United Kingdom, on 21 November 1924. After a childhood in Oxford, he joined the RAF during the Second World War and was stationed to South Africa. After the war, he finished his studies and became a lecturer in Old and Middle English as well as Old Icelandic at the University of Oxford. After his father’s death in 1973, he became the literary executor of the Tolkien Estate and went on to edit and publish his father’s unpublished material starting with The Silmarillion in 1977 and ending with The Fall of Gondolin in 2018.
From Shaun Gunner, Tolkien Society Chair: We have lost a titan and he will be sorely missed.
: The world owes Christopher an enormous debt for ensuring the continuing development and revelation of his father’s legacy such that his Middle-earth is still revered with such a passion across the world and by all generations.
• Tolkien, the compelling exhibition at Paris BnF – pictures ✦
• Tolkien Society 2020 Calendar ✦
• Tolkien Society Oxonmoot September 2020 ✦
• TOR.n at Alamo Drafthouse Lord of the Rings Feast 9 January 2020 ✦
• Tolkien Society awards and youtube features: ✦